With the way 2020 is going down, we could all use a little calm in our lives. This year has been a doozy, and we are all looking for ways to cope with the stress and anxiety of these uncertain times. Well, guess what? There is a culinary trend that can help ease your nerves and add a depth of flavor to your favorite recipes—cooking with CBD! CBD is shorthand for cannabidiol, which is derived from the hemp plant. But rest assured, it does NOT contain any psychoactive properties. You won’t get a high, per se, but more of an overall feeling of chill. It’s basically a holistic solution to deal with insomnia, minor aches or pains, autoimmune diseases, and even anxiety.
The 411 on Cooking with CBD
- Be Cautious with Heat
Cooking CBD at a high heat can make it less effective. You want to stay below 320 degrees for the CBD to retain its healing properties. Experts recommend that instead of baking the CBD into your birthday cake, add it to the frosting that will go on the cake.
- Combine it with Healthy Fats
Because CBD is fat soluble, your body needs fat containing foods to absorb the CBD into the bloodstream. Plan on using it in conjunction with your favorite healthy oil. It can be olive oil, coconut oil, or even MCT.
- Start with Foods you are Familiar With
Beverages are a great starting point for novice CBD users. Try adding it to your coffee, morning smoothie, or evening cocktail. From there, you can add the oil to your favorite salad dressing, chimichurri sauce, or even your Bolognese sauce. Get creative, have fun, and bring on the calm.
- Be Patient and Use Caution
Utilizing CBD in food takes longer to get into your bloodstream than by simply applying a tincture under your tongue. With that said, don’t consume more just because you haven’t begun to feel the effects.
Pumpkin Spice Bread with CBD Icing
- 1 tbsp. apple cider
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 c. pumpkin puree
- ½-c. yuca-root flour
- 1 tsp. espresso powder
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
CBD sugar-free icing:
- 1 tbsp. CBD coconut oil
- ¼-c. coconut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Combine the apple cider with baking soda in a bowl and let the mixture fizz. Stir in eggs and mix with a stand mixer until peaks form.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Line a bread loaf pan with parchment paper and pour the prepared batter into the dish.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Allow the loaf to cool in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- For the icing: melt the coconut butter with the CBD coconut oil over low heat until combined and pour over the loaf.